- Kindergarten ONLY Tours – Wednesday, January 4th @ 8:30 AM and Wednesday, February 1st @ 8:30 AM
- First – Third Grade ONLY Tour – Wednesday, January 18th @ 8:30 AM
- Kindergarten – Third Grade Tour – Wednesday, February 15th @ 8:30 AM
- NEW! Kindergarten – Third Grade Tour, Admitted Students ONLY – Tuesday, March 14th @ 10:30 AM
Voyager Academy Admission
Voyager Academy seeks to provide students, with a rigorous, experiential, and challenging curriculum.
Voyager Academy admits students without regard to race, sex, disability,color, religion, national, or ethnic origin.
Voyager Academy is a tuition-free public charter school!
Admission to Voyager Academy is by lottery. The application period typically beings in January for the school year starting the following fall.
Voyager Academy offers tours of our campus and facilities on specific dates at specific times during the first part of the new year. No sign-up is required.
All dates are in 2017.
- Wednesday, January 4th @ 9:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 18th @ 9:45 AM
- Wednesday, February 1st @ 9:45 AM
- Wednesday, February 15th @ 9:45 AM
- Wednesday, January 4th @ 11 AM
- Wednesday, January 18th @ 11 AM
- Wednesday, February 1st @ 11 AM
- Wednesday, February 15th @ 11 AM
Current students are required to have a re-commitment letter on file and participate in scheduling their classes for the following school year, if they intend to return.
The lottery application period will be open at midnight on Sunday, January 1, 2017 until Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 11:59 pm.
The admission lottery will be held on Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 5 pm at the Voyager Academy Middle School Gym, located at 101 Hock Parc. Durham, NC 27704. The public is welcome to attend.
Each applicant will receive an email on Friday March 10, 2017, before 6 pm, notifying them of their acceptance or position on the waitlist. If you do not attend the lottery on March 9, 2017 to get your results, no one at the school will have access to any lottery results prior to the emails being sent out.
Please see the “Lottery Details” section for more information.
Voyager Academy would like to provide access to as many students as possible, however as a charter school there are limitations on our enrollment. We are providing the following information, not in an effort to deter you from applying, but for transparency and to assist in expectations.
- Traditionally, each year, Voyager Academy receives in excess of 2,000 applications for approximately 120 total openings across all grades K-12 at the time of the lottery. Of those 120 openings, 100 of them are for our incoming kindergarten. Therefore, there are typically only 20 total openings that are available across 1st – 12th grades combined each year. The majority of the 20 openings are typically for 9th grade. Also pursuant to the State guidelines, siblings and staff members are given preference when there are open positions.
- Please remember, each year is unique, and there may be more or less openings depending on student retention and other factors. Voyager Academy will call students on the waitlist throughout the summer and school year if more openings become available. We strongly encourage all who are interested in Voyager Academy to apply and attend a tour.
- If there are fewer applicants than slots available, all applicants will be admitted. Accepted families who enroll in Voyager Academy, parents and students, must read and agree to follow the Voyager Academy policies and procedures.
- Students attending Voyager Academy may live in any county in North Carolina and must reside in North Carolina at the time of application.
- Siblings of current Voyager Academy students and children of current Voyager Academy full time staff members are admitted before the lottery to any open spots for the grade in which that student is applying. If there are more siblings applying than spots available there will be a lottery held among siblings of Voyager students.
- Students who are twins, triplets, etc. must each complete an application. However, only one application will be entered in the lottery for those students. If that application is accepted, the sibling’s twin or triplet, etc. will also be admitted.
- Voyager Academy will send a confirmation letter via USPS Mail to each student chosen through the lottery. This confirmation letter must be completed, signed and returned to the school by Tuesday, March 21, 2017. This will be used to confirm your commitment to Voyager and your agreement to begin the enrollment process. Failure to return your confirmation by the deadline will nullify your student’s acceptance. Once you return this acceptance form, your next step is to come to an on-campus enrollment session (see dates on your acceptance letter) where you will return all the necessary documents as specified in your enrollment packet.
- Students not admitted through the lottery will be placed on a waitlist. Students will be kept on the waitlist until the end of the following school year. If a spot becomes available we will contact students in order of their waitlist number.
- If a student does not get a space through the lottery/waiting list process, that student must re-apply to be considered the following year. However, current students do not have to re-apply year-to-year.
Post-Lottery and Enrollment Information
2017-18 Registration Dates
If you were notified that your student was selected in the lottery for enrollment, you will receive your enrollment packet via US Mail. Once you receive your packet, please complete and return the Acceptance Form ONLY, by March 21, 2017. You will then bring the other forms and documents to your enrollment time listed below. Please be aware that there are no appointments necessary and if you have multiple siblings enrolling, we can process them at the same time. However, we ask that ALL high school enrollees come only during the designated high school enrollment time. This is due to the need to have administration on hand to complete scheduling.
(Enrolling grades K-3)
Located at VAES – 4210 Ben Franklin Blvd.
|Monday, April 3 – Friday, April 7, 2017
9am – 12 noon
(Enrolling grades 4-8)
Located at VAMS – 101 Hock Parc
|Tuesday, April 25 – Thursday, April 27, 2017
10am – 1pm
(Enrolling grades 9-12)
Located at VAHS – 4302 Ben Franklin Blvd.
|Tuesday, Mar. 28 – Thursday, Mar. 30, 2017
10am – 1pm
*HS students are asked to attend if possible, with their parents, in order to complete scheduling.
Please be aware, for any openings that become available after the lottery is held, and throughout the summer, Voyager Academy will notify those families from our waitlist via email and phone number listed on your lottery application. Voyager Academy must receive a response from telephone messages left or email messages within 48 hours or your offer of admission will be forfeited. You will have 24 hours to return the acceptance letter once it is your possession.