Voyager Academy High School uses the learning management system called, Canvas.
What is Canvas and how is it used?
Canvas is a learning management system, on which all grades are posted, and accessible remotely (via the internet), to students and parents. In addition to grade management, Canvas is also used to post upcoming assignments, notes for students, and feedback on student work. Canvas is also a multimedia platform, allowing you to teach in many different ways.
All teachers will input all grades in Canvas. The only grades that will be entered into PowerSchool are final exam grades, and final grades at the end of the course. Therefore, parents/guardians who would like to keep track of a student’s progress throughout the semester, will need to register as an “observer” on Canvas. When registered as a Canvas observer, one will be able to view everything the student can view in any of his/her classes including specific assignments, due dates, teacher feedback, and grades. Follow the instructions below to claim an account as a parent/guardian observer on Canvas.
Parents—> Register as a parent observer:
Please note: You will need your child’s log-in information in order to register; therefore, you cannot register as an observer until your child has claimed their account on Canvas.
- Login using the appropriate link above (Parent/Guardian Login). The direct URL for parent Canvas access is https://voyager.instructure.com/login/canvas. Please bookmark this URL, as you will use this page for future logins.
- Click “Parent of a Canvas User? Click Here For an Account”.
- The signup form appears. The first two fields, “Your Name” and “Your Email” are parent information. Fill these out.
- The second two fields, “Child’s Username” and “Child’s Password” are your student’s normal Canvas username and password (NCEdCloud). Have him or her enter these here.
- Your account is now created and you are automatically logged into Canvas. However, account setup is not complete. To complete account setup, check your email and follow the instructions to finish setting up your account, including setting a password. The email may take several minutes to arrive.
Need to add additional students?
- To observe additional students from your account, you must first check your email and follow the instructions to complete the account setup. The following steps will not work until you do so.
- Log into Canvas with your parent account.
- Click “Settings” in the upper right blue menu bar.
- In the left hand navigation bar, click “Observing”.
- You now see “Username” and “Password” fields. Have each additional student enter his or her normal Canvas username and password (NCEdCloud), then click “+Student.”
If you are a student who is new to Voyager or if you did not claim your Canvas account last year, follow the instructions below to claim your account. Note: You only need to do this one time; if you have ever had a Canvas account, you can still log in with your student ID number and your personal password.
- Visit this page: http://my.ncedcloud.org/
- Click “Claim My Account”
- Change the policy to “LEA Student Claim Policy”. Click “Next”
- Enter your birthday, LEA/Charter Code (32L), grade, and your student UID (student ID number).
- Enter the captcha code and click “Next”
- Choose a password according to the listed requirements and click “Next”.
- Answer at least five of the challenge questions. These are used for self-service password reset.
- Click “Next” and you are done.
(click here for a .pdf of all content above)