What is Career and College Promise?
Career and College Promise (CCP) is North Carolina’s dual enrollment program, in which students may take community college courses while enrolled in high school. Voyager Academy High School students who qualify, may enroll in courses at Durham Technical Community College (DTCC). Tuition is free.
(please click here to view the January 2017 CCP presentation given at VAHS)
What does CCP offer high school students?
Students may choose among two pathways, each offering different opportunities:
- On the College Transfer Pathway, students may acquire university transfer credit, up to and including an associate degree.
- On the Career and Technical Education Pathway, students may work toward or acquire certification in various industries such as Computer Networking, Paralegal, Transportation Technology, Entrepreneurship, Medical Assisting, Web Developer, Spanish Language Facilitator, Criminal Justice, Emergency Medical Science, and more (click here for the list of certifications and diplomas).
What are the minimum requirements?
Is there a testing requirement?
Students must get a minimum score on any of the following placement tests:
- NCDAP (for applicants without qualifying scores on any of the above tests; it is offered for free on a walk-in basis on the DTCC campus)
Testing requirements (with qualifying test scores) for the Career and Technical Education Pathway (click here).
Testing requirements (with qualifying test scores) for the College Transfer Pathway (click here).
What if my test scores don’t qualify?
If an applicant does not have qualifying test scores, the applicant may enroll as a provisional student, if all of the following criteria are met:
– 3.5 weighted GPA at time of application
– completion of English 1 and English 2 before enrollment
– completion of Algebra 2 or Math 3 before enrollment
– obtain a recommendation from the School Counselor
What is a “provisional student?”
– A provisional student may take only ENG 111 and either MAT 143 or 152 or 171, to begin the college journey.
– The provisional student must successfully complete the 2 courses above with a “C” or higher in order to register for other courses.
Who may apply?
- 2nd semester sophomores
- 1st semester Seniors
Can college courses be used to substitute high school courses?
Yes. Click here for the College To High School Credit Substitution Form
How does a VAHS student apply?
- Complete your portion of CCP Verification Form (click here).
- Present the form to the VAHS School Counselor (as soon as possible), to express interest.
- Please click here to continue your initial steps for Career and College Promise enrollment and registration
Please click here for a more detailed description of Career and College Promise from
Durham Technical Community College